Saturday, April 22, 2017

Immigration/ Language Class

Immigration and assimilation into Germany is a finely tuned and outlined process. Upon arrival foreigners are required to report to the immigration office in their town. During my visit last year I received and signed a document outlining the requirements and timeline I had to complete classes and tests to be eligible for a resident permit. 

Train Station
With the influx of people from all over the world into Germany, it's interesting to see how guidelines have changed since the last time I lived here. Today, potential permanent residents are required to reach certain language proficiency levels and learn about German history, government and culture.


Bremen

With my list of requirements tucked under my arm I headed to the local community school to register for classes and tests.

Outside the registration office and in class I had the opportunity to meet people from every corner of the world.  I met people from Syria, Indonesia, Japan, Eritrea, Russia, Greece, Poland, Afghanistan, Bulgaria,..... Some of the conversations are unforgettable and inspiring as I heard first hand stories about life in other countries and what various peoples plans and hopes for their future were. War, love, adventure, career opportunities, education and family were frequent reasons for many people deciding to move to Germany.

Apartments in Hannover

German class was a highlight of my assimilation experience into Germany. We had a great time in class. Language classes are so much fun because you get to read, talk and are encouraged to exchange ideas and information while practicing various grammar topics and expanding your vocabulary.

German class

We learned about each others native culture and adaptation to German culture. We celebrated birthdays, achievements, holidays and offered encouragement and advise on rough days. One thing we did a lot of was laugh. We laughed with and at each other. The class was educational as well as therapeutic. A good laugh and insight to other ways of thinking does wonders for the soul. 


Talented Classmate

Celebration #7 (I don't remember the reason)



No comments:

Post a Comment